Sunday, December 15, 2019

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)


Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

Girt: The Unauthorised History of Australia by David Hunt: Hunt's style is a lot like Bill Bryson, for better or worse. This is more entertaining and more memorable than many histories you'll read, but a lot of the jokes felt cheap or like punching down. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this due to the problematic parts, but if you like Bill Bryson and you don't know much about Australian history, you might enjoy this.

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead: In this alternate history, Whitehead collapses time and space to show alternate "solutions" to slavery that mirror the challenges African Americans have faced in different times and places since then. I didn't find it as compelling as I'd hoped while reading it, but as a work to think about and discuss, it's excellent.

Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation by Damian Duffy and John Jennings: My feelings about this adaptation mirrored my feelings about the original book pretty closely, and I think the guys who adapted it did an excellent job. I thought this version captured the whole story succinctly so that no important details or plot points were lost. Good for those who love the original book and those who don't ever plan to pick it up.

Demon Lord of Karanda by David Eddings: I had always thought King of the Murgos was my favorite book of the Malloreon, but on this read-through I liked this one better. We get hilarious banter, overcoming prejudice, and a developing relationship between my two favorite characters.

Airships by Barry Hannah: This short story collection is definitely one of the worst, most offensive books I've ever read. It's like a Southern white man's violent, drunken wet dream. No thank you.

The Arrival by Shaun Tan: This is a lovely wordless graphic novel that reads like watching a short animated film. Tan puts the reader in the shoes of an immigrant through the fantastical world that he has designed; just like the protagonist, the language on papers and signs is unfamiliar to us, as are the strange animals, foods, and methods of transportation. Definitely recommend picking this one up.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Gaudy Night and The Future of the Mind
Five years ago I was reading: Like Water for Chocolate and One Hundred Names
Ten years ago I was reading: The Red Pony

No comments:

Post a Comment