Monday, August 26, 2019

Ten Books I’ve Read That I’d Like In My Personal Library


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is books we've read that we'd like in our personal library. As I've mentioned before, I've pared my personal library way down to just books I've read and love and want to lend to people. However, there's room on the shelf for a few more... I looked over the books on my wish list on PaperBackSwap and ones on my Goodreads favorites list to compile a list of ones I don't own but would like to. Now that I have a custom book stamp, hopefully I can increase my chances of getting back the books I lend out!


1. Ask a Manager by Alison Green
This is an excellent reference guide for hard conversations at work, and I recommend it frequently. I'd love to have a copy on hand to lend people!


2. Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
This is usually the book I name when asked what one book I wish everyone in the world would read. Definitely one to have on hand to share!


3. The Belgariad, Vol. One & Vol. Two by David Eddings
I have my old mass market paperback copies of these books from middle school, except for Pawn of Prophecy, which I've twice lent out and not gotten back. Rather than re-buying the book a second time, I decided I'd prefer to get hardcover versions of the new combined volumes that put books 1-3 in Vol. One and books 4-5 in Vol. Two. There are really two story arcs, not five, so I think this is a better way to break it up anyway. And it will save room on my bookshelves!


4. Fed Up by Gemma Hartley
I've recommended this book to so many people in the last year, and I am especially trying to get it into the hands of men with female partners. I really ought to have my own copy to lend out!


5. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
This is a close second for that question of a book I wish everyone would read; this one, at least, should be read by every American. Another one I ought to have my own copy of by now!


6. The Malloreon, Vol. One & Vol. Two by David Eddings
Although I have all five copies of these books still, I'd like to replace them as well to match the Belgariad hardcovers and condense that space on my shelf!


7. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Despite being less than thrilled with her latest books, Kingsolver is still one of my favorite authors, and this work is her chef-d'œuvre. I have a copy of The Bean Trees that I got free, but still don't have this one.


8. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
How do I not own any of Albertalli's books? I adore everything she writes. I wouldn't mind owning all the Creekwood universe books, but I definitely need to get this one.


9. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
This book is alongside The Poisonwood Bible on my Ideal Bookshelf print, but I have yet to make my real bookshelf match my ideal bookshelf! Literary fiction doesn't always capture me, but this story of two friends matched at birth has stayed with me.


10. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Well, I had a copy of this book, and then I lent it to someone years ago and never got it back, so it's high time I replaced it!

Which books would you like to own?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Ancillary Justice
Five years ago I was reading: Tempting Faith, Someone Knows My Name, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Ten years ago I was reading: Walden

No comments:

Post a Comment