Friday, August 30, 2019

Best of the Bunch: August 2019


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in August.

Of the 8 books I read this month, I had one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch!


White Fragility isn't trying to convince anyone that racism exists. Instead, it's written to white progressives who believe that racism exists and may even be actively working to fight it at a societal level, but at the same time want you to know that they are not racist, they are super woke and would never say anything offensive, and how dare you suggest that they themselves might have said something problematic? What I appreciated most about this book was how many specific examples DiAngelo includes, both of experiences with people in her workshops and of her own experiences being called out on problematic comments or having uncomfortable feelings related to her socialization as a white person. In her vulnerability, she demonstrates that there is no such thing as having "arrived" at some kind of post-racial state as a white person. I'd say this is a must-read for all white Americans (and probably most white Westerners around the world), but I think it's most important to be read by the white progressives it's addressed to — the people who consider themselves "woke" and other people the real problem. It's a short book, so there's no excuse not to read it.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Ancillary Justice
Five years ago I was reading: Totto-chan, Someone Knows My Name, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Ten years ago I was reading: Walden

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment