Saturday, June 29, 2019

Best of the Bunch: June 2019


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in June.

Of the 7 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

The Trespasser by Tana French

The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart

Each of these books is loosely connected to a series but could be read as a standalone. Still, I think The Extraordinary Education... is best enjoyed by those who have already read the Mysterious Benedict Society series, whereas the other is the only one of the Dublin Murder Squad series I would strongly recommend to something — so that will be my best of the bunch!


As with the previous books in the series, I did not want to put this one down. Her writing is just so good. I knew I was not going to be able to figure out the killer, and I was happy to go along for the ride. The characters feel real, so even when they're doing things that are a bit out there, it's believable. Each of the Dublin Murder Squad books focuses on a different detective, and while they do reference events from earlier books, it's not necessary to read them in order. If you don't mind having an ending that's unresolved or where justice isn't fully served or the main character isn't someone you can root for, then by all means, start with the first book, In the Woods. But if you like your mysteries wrapped up at the end, with a narrator who isn't a horrible person, then your best bet is to read this one.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Orphan Master's Son and Eragon
Five years ago I was reading: The Namesake, Love in the Time of Cholera, and A Suitable Boy
Ten years ago I was reading: Beloved


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment