Friday, July 31, 2026
Best of the Bunch (July 2026)
Today I'm sharing the best book I read in July.
I finally had 5-star reads this month after quite a drought! Of the 12 books I read this month, I had three 5-star reads:
Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs by Beth Ann Fennelly
An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us by Ed Yong
Heartstopper: Volume Six by Alice Oseman
I already had to give some thought to which one I'm going to share about at my book gathering this weekend, and so the one that I picked is my Best of the Bunch for this month! An Immense World was fascinating from start to finish. I adore Ed Yong's writing as well as his audiobook narration. It would never have even occurred to me to compile in one place a survey of the ways that animals perceive the world, and I haven't seen anything like this before. Yong does a fabulous job breaking down complex scientific topics using examples and analogies; he doesn't shy away from digging into the nuances, while keeping his tone conversational and his language clear. I also appreciated how thoughtfully and fluidly he linked together the chapters on different senses in an order that followed logical connections, often ones I wouldn't have put together without his expert guidance. I was enthralled. I highly recommend this one, especially on audio!
What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!
Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: You Know, Sex, Dracula, The Name of the Wind, A Monster Calls, and Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
Five years ago I was reading: The Thursday Murder Club, Womanist Midrash, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
Ten years ago I was reading: A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare and Girl at the End of the World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment