Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Best of the Bunch (November 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in November.

Of the 12 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

Still Stace: My Gay Christian Coming-Of-Age Story: An Illustrated Memoir by Stacey Chomiak

Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

How the heck am I supposed to pick between these? I loved them both and read each in about two sittings. I guess I'll give some extra weight to the one written by a friend of mine, because it was very cool to get to hear more of her story (and her book is new so not as well known!).
Still Stace was originally going to be a much shorter children's book, but I'm glad that it evolved into this more detailed memoir for a young adult audience. I think it's so valuable for LGBTQ+ Christian teens to have this honest story of how Stace moved from a place of shame and numbness to a feeling of peace and wholeness after she started seeking God's voice instead of just the interpretations and beliefs of those around her. I read this book in two sittings; the writing was accessible and the story was compelling. Her voice throughout this book is honest and open as she shares the painful experiences of her past. And her illustrations add such a unique flavor to the story! Although I don't believe that there's a single book you can hand to a Christian loved one who has strong negative beliefs about LGBTQ+ identities that will change their minds overnight, I do believe that stories are far more powerful than proof-texting or logical arguments in opening people's hearts. And for anyone from any background who doesn't understand what it's like to struggle with reconciling faith and sexuality, I'd definitely recommend this book.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: A Promised Land and Strangers from a Different Shore
Five years ago I was reading: Interpreter of Maladies, Middlesex, and Murder on the Orient Express
Ten years ago I was reading: Reviving Ophelia

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment