Monday, August 10, 2020

Ten Books I Loved but Never Reviewed


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

I've reviewed almost every book I've read since I started using Goodreads in 2013 (except picture books I've read with my son). However, there are some favorite books that I read before 2013 and haven't reread since then, so I don't have reviews for them! Several of these are on my "want-to-reread" shelf, so maybe someday I'll post a full review once I get the chance to revisit them.


1. The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
I read this in high school and loved it, but I haven't reread it since. Kingsolver is one of my favorite writers, though I haven't been as big a fan of her most recent works. This is an older one, though, and I hope I still enjoy it as much as I did in high school. I have a physical copy now, so I just need to get around to rereading it!


2. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
This is one that I read in middle school and haven't revisited, though I did finally watch the movie. Now I have so many books on my to-read list that it's harder for me to invest the time in a thousand-pager like this, especially one I've already read!


3. Matilda by Roald Dahl
I did reread this as an adult, but it was right before I started using Goodreads. I think I actually did review it on the site I used previously that shut down and took all my reviews with it. (Still raging about that, 7 years later...)


4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
This is another one I read as a kid and then reread as an adult, but before I switched to Goodreads. When my son is old enough I want him to read this, so maybe we can read it together and then I'll review it, but I love it so much that it's one of the ones I'm afraid to give him too soon and ruin it for him!


5. Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings
I reread the Belgariad and Malloreon series via audiobook the past couple years, which I enjoyed a lot, but I didn't feel compelled to revisit the prequels as well, so I don't have reviews of them. Maybe someday!


6. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
This is one I read in middle school and have been saying forever that I want to reread, and I finally have my hands on the audiobook and will hopefully listen to it later this month!


7. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
This is a book that I recommend frequently to people interested in learning more about the Fertility Awareness Method, but I don't have a review of it; it's another one I read in the year before I started using Goodreads. To be honest, I probably won't ever reread it, so I probably won't ever review it either.


8. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Apparently I read all my favorite books in the year before I started using Goodreads?? I was actually surprised to see I didn't have a review of this one because I remember reviewing it, but again, that must have been on the now-defunct site instead. Maybe one of my book clubs will pick this one sometime and I'll have a reason to reread it.


9. Torn by Justin Lee
This is another one that I recommend frequently but which I read shortly before switching to Goodreads. Lee, a gay Christian, uses his own experience to try to bridge the gap between non-affirming Christians and the secular LGBTQ+ community. He manages to be remarkably compassionate toward the people who tried to "turn him straight" out of concern for his eternal soul, which is why this is a good go-to book for Christians who are tentatively interested in learning more about the LGBTQ+ community.


10. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
I read this one about a decade ago, so several years before I started using Goodreads. Then I lent my copy to someone who lost it and I haven't gotten around to getting another copy. I enjoyed it but I would have to reread it to feel like I could write a review of it.

Which favorite books have you not reviewed?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Opening Up, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, Guardians of the West, and White Fragility
Five years ago I was reading: Mr. Popper's Penguins, Madame Bovary, The Princess Bride, and Nervous Conditions
Ten years ago I was reading: Love, Stargirl

No comments:

Post a Comment