Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Best of the Bunch: April 2020


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in April.

Of the 7 books I finished, I only had one 5-star read, and it was a reread of a favorite book (my June 2015 favorite):


The Sea of Tranquility had me completely in tears by the end, even knowing how it would end. I love how the main characters are both mature for their age and also extremely messed up. They don't save each other because love doesn't work that way in real life, but they do provide a safe haven for one another. All of the characters generally felt so much more real to me than most characters in YA books, not that I would have made the same choices they did, but that they were three-dimensional characters whose choices and conflicting feelings felt authentic to their own selves. Millay subverts so many YA tropes to create a book that feels fresh and authentic and heart-wrenching.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers
Five years ago I was reading: Angle of Repose, How to Train Your Dragon, and Finding Your Own North Star
Ten years ago I was reading: The Children's Book
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment