Monday, October 14, 2019

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)


Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

Another light reading month for me as I slowly work through Possession on audio and otherwise just try to find time to read print. I'm still six books ahead on my Goodreads challenge, though, so I'm doing OK! Here's what I've been reading.

Everyday Bias: Identifying and Navigating Unconscious Judgments in Our Daily Lives by Howard J. Ross: This was a pretty basic overview to the idea of biases. It definitely isn't the best book I've read on bias, but if for some reason you feel safer learning about these topics from a white dude, then this one isn't bad.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson: I'm not sure what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, except that I had to stop listening to it while walking across campus because I couldn't stop laughing hysterically and was afraid I was going to pee my pants.

Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien: This wasn't earth-shaking, and it won't be for everyone, but I did find it generally interesting and think it could be a valuable starting point for a lot of American Christians who haven't given much thought to the limits of their own perspective.

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages by Trenton Lee Stewart: It was a lot of fun to be reunited with the characters from the original trilogy, now a bit older and trying to decide their next steps. I wouldn't say it's exactly a continuation of the original trilogy because the tone is slightly different, but it is a nice send-off into adulthood for these beloved characters.

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis: This was my favorite of the Narnia books so far! To me it was the best plotted and least problematic of the series. I'm glad I kept going with them.

God Land: A Story of Faith, Loss, and Renewal in Middle America by Lyz Lenz: I wanted this book to be good, and it had a lot of good content, but the way it was stitched together was kind of a mess, repetitive, and poorly edited.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Special Topics in Calamity Physics and The Bluest Eye
Five years ago I was reading: Sister Outsider and Walk Two Moons
Ten years ago I was reading: The God of Small Things

No comments:

Post a Comment