Saturday, April 29, 2017

Best of the Bunch: April 2017


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in April.

Of the 11 books I read this month, I had three 5-star books:

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

In another month I don't think anything would have beaten out The Hate U Give, but my very favorite this month was...


Reading this book reminded me why I loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda so much. Albertalli has a gift for capturing what it's like to be in high school, and not in a way that makes me cringe with painful memories, but in a way that causes me to look back with fondness on my younger self. We get a happy love story, just like in Simon, but the larger story is really about Molly and her sister and how we deal with change in our closest relationships. I love that this book takes place in the same universe as Simon and that we get to see some of the characters from that book. (Be aware of spoilers if you haven't read that one first!) There's a diverse cast of characters but it never feels like an "issue book" even when the characters have to deal with homophobia or racism or fat-shaming. It's just very sweet, and I can't wait for Albertalli's next one.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!





No comments:

Post a Comment