Saturday, August 31, 2024

Best of the Bunch (August 2024)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in August.

Of the 10 books I read this month, I had one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch!
I adore Anita Kelly's writing. How You Get the Girl is probably my favorite of their three full-length novels set in the same universe. As with all of their books, we get the perspectives of both people, so we see how they interpret and misinterpret and second-guess each other's words and actions, both worried about being too vulnerable and leaning in too hard. Julie was my favorite character, not surprisingly; Kelly spoke to my heart through giving us a character who has no idea what identity label to claim because she so rarely gets crushes on anyone and has even less experience acting on them. Unlike the romances I want to chuck against a wall where we're just supposed to root for two characters to get together because they're the main characters, Kelly gives us solid dialogue, with flirting, inside jokes, vulnerability, and sweetness. We actually get to see Julie and Elle develop a friendship over time in a realistic way. All of the side plots are great as well, which isn't always the case. I highly recommend this on audio and kind of wish I'd read the first two this way; maybe I'll go back and revisit them one of these days.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Detransition, Baby and How the Word Is Passed
Five years ago I was reading: How to Be a Perfect Stranger, The Smart Girl's Guide to Polyamory, and The Book of Unknown Americans
Ten years ago I was reading: Totto-Chan, White Teeth, and Someone Knows My Name

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment