Monday, May 15, 2023

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

It was another light reading month for me. I've been spending more time listening to line dance music than my current audiobook, and I've been busier than usual with the people in my life. I've also been reading some longer books that took some motivation to get through. Here are the four books I finished in the past month.

The Bad Guys by Aaron Blabey: This was a silly and quick read with my 8-year-old that motivated them to want to read with me in the evening. We have a hold on the next two books in the series!

The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks by Mackenzi Lee: It took me a while to get through this one — it's a bit longer and more meandering than it needs to be — but I enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd recommend this if you haven't read the first two, but if you have, definitely pick this one up!

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell: This got good right before the halfway point (as I was considering DNFing it), which is honestly way too far into a 500+ page book. The world-building was good and the romance was cute, but the book overall wasn't good enough to justify the time spent reading it.

Scythe by Neal Shusterman: I really liked the concept behind this and enjoyed seeing how philosophical dilemmas played out within the world. Unfortunately, it just took me a really long time to get through. The characters didn't come alive for me, and there was a completely unnecessary romance shoehorned in, and at times the plot moved so rapidly that it felt like explanations were being thrown at us just to paper over potential plot holes.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: We Keep the Dead Close, Star-Crossed, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, and Paradise of the Blind
Five years ago I was reading: A Soldier of the Great War, Half the Sky, and Poirot's Early Cases
Ten years ago I was reading: The Hidden Brain, Does Jesus Really Love Me?, and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment