Saturday, October 15, 2022

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

Platonic: How the Science of Attachment Can Help You Make—and Keep—Friends by Marisa G. Franco: This is a well-researched and well-written dive into the real-life experiences of friendship and would be valuable for almost anyone to read.

The Dead and the Dark by Courtney Gould: This was a tensely atmospheric supernatural thriller with some unexpected queer romance thrown in. I found the plot compelling and the writing excellent, and I was willing to have some suspension of disbelief to enjoy the story.

A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski: This read like an older white gay man who has not kept up with the changes in the broader community. If you want to learn about the history of white gay men (or "homosexuals," as he insists on calling them) in the United States, this is a great overview, but don't expect anything comprehensive or intersectional.

Zombies Ate My Homework by Cara J. Stevens: This certainly isn't something I'd pick up on my own or recommend to the average reader, but it fit the bill for a graphic novel that would engage my Minecraft-loving 7-year-old.

Matrix by Lauren Groff: This was an engaging story that draws you more into the life of 12th century nuns than you might expect, though less than I expected after the rave reviews I'd heard of this book.

The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred by Chanda Prescod-Weinstein: The first quarter of the book is very physics-heavy and I nearly abandoned it, but the rest is a solid set of essays about the intersection of science with things like white supremacy, transphobia, and capitalism.

The Under Dog and Other Stories by Agatha Christie: There wasn't a lot here that was new to me, but it's a solid collection of short stories. Unlike some of her short story collections, this one is surprisingly light on the racist commentary, and it includes some of the better plot twists.

Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman: This novella was a lovely addition to the world of Heartstopper. We've seen Nick and Charlie grappling with external stressors, but their relationship has otherwise seemed picture-perfect. Here we see that they make the same mistakes any other couple makes (and come out stronger on the other side, obviously).

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Honey Girl, Stars and Sparks on Stage, Girl Sex 101, and The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side
Five years ago I was reading: Midwives and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Ten years ago I was reading: Sacred Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment