Monday, April 29, 2019

Best of the Bunch: April 2019


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in April.

Of the 7 books I read this month, I had only one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch.


In Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, Gottlieb pulls together a lot of different threads: her meandering career path that eventually led her to become a therapist; four different patients' stories (heavily edited composite sketches of real patients she's seen) and how they're changed through therapy with her; her own experience going to therapy and how it helped her; some history of different psychological research and theories; and a behind-the-scenes look at what therapists think about during sessions and what they talk about with their fellow therapists when they need professional advice on how to help their patients. This is both a celebration of the power of therapy and a recognition of its limits — that all of us, therapists included, are just doing our best. But you come away feeling that if we were all willing to be a little more vulnerable and put in a little more effort to look at how our own decisions affect ourselves and others, we'd be much better off as a human race.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Magician's Gambit and America's Public Schools
Five years ago I was reading: War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: Soul Survivor


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment