Monday, October 1, 2018

Top Ten Authors I'd Love to Meet


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is about authors we'd love to meet. There was a similar topic in 2017 when I posted about some authors I'd met and some I'd like to meet. Sadly, I still haven't met any of the four I listed back then (I tried to get tickets for Barbara Kingsolver's book tour but they were sold out!). Here they are again, and six others.


1. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I haven't actually loved most of Adichie's fiction that I've read, but I've greatly appreciated her excellent nonfiction writing. From the popularity of her TED Talk, you know she's a great public speaker, and it would be awesome to hear her speak in person and get to meet her.


2. Becky Albertalli
I adore everything Albertalli writes, and from what I've seen of her social media presence she seems really fun and down to earth. It would be great to meet her and tell her that even someone like me in my 30s appreciates how she captures the high school experience so well.


3. Anne Bogel
I'm so excited because I am going to get to meet Anne next week! I've known her on the blogosphere since well before she was a published author, and I'm looking forward to meeting her face to face on her book tour.


4. Nadia Bolz-Weber
OK, I only have myself to blame for the fact that I haven't actually met Nadia Bolz-Weber yet. I went to a conference where she was a speaker, and she was there for the entire conference, including being in the same room as me for several hours for a pre-conference retreat. But I was so overwhelmed by her that I couldn't think of a single thing to say to her, so I never went up to introduce myself, which was just dumb. Sigh. She's amazing.


5. Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Diffenbaugh wrote my favorite book ever, The Language of Flowers. Her last book was published in 2015, so fingers crossed she's working on something new and will go on tour near me!


6. Barbara Kingsolver
Still kicking myself for missing the window to get tickets to see her on her latest book tour! She's only 63, so she's got a couple more books in her still, right?? Maybe next time!


7. Marie Kondo
People love to hate on The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but I found it extremely useful. It would be cool (if very unlikely) to meet her in person!


8. Liane Moriarty
She's going to stop a few hours away from me on her book tour for her latest release. Now I have to decide 1) if I want to take a day off work to go and 2) if I'm going to pay to get a ticket for the signing line...


9. J.K. Rowling
I think she's probably on most people's lists, though in reality I'm sure if I ever got in the same room with her I would be too nervous to talk to her. (I mean, look at how I acted with Nadia Bolz-Weber, who's not nearly as famous.) I think it's enough of a pipe dream even to think about hearing her speak in person!


10. Gretchen Rubin
People seem to love to pile on Rubin for her exacting personality, but I've personally found her books very helpful, and it would be cool to tell her that in person.

Who would you like to meet?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: All Things Bright and Beautiful and After the Funeral
Five years ago I was reading: The Righteous Mind and Room
Ten years ago I was reading: The Sound and the Fury

No comments:

Post a Comment