Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Best of the Bunch: August 2017


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in August.

This was another month where I had no 5-star or 4.5-star books, but I had a ton of 4-star books — almost everything I read:

Faithful Place by Tana French

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Doestoyevsky

The Hollow by Agatha Christie

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Runaway Alice by Frances Salomon Murphy

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

The books are all so different that it's difficult to pick just one best one. Maybe it's just that it's freshest in my memory, but I think the one I enjoyed reading the most was...


You have to be prepared for a large suspension of disbelief that Poirot would, after deciding to replicate the Labors of Hercules for his last twelve cases, run across (in order) twelve cases that so perfectly matched the Twelve Labors. But I found it fun to see how Christie adapted and modernized each of the different Labors to match some modern-day crime. None of the stories are, in and of themselves, masterpieces, but as a collection this was a nice departure from the usual Poirot mysteries.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!





No comments:

Post a Comment