Monday, April 13, 2015
Top Ten Inspiring Quotations from Books
I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for another Top Ten Tuesday.
I disappeared there for a while, I know... I've been busy implementing the strategies from my favorite March read. It's been amazingly awesome and freeing to cull my belongings down to only the things I actually want to own and use — which shouldn't be a radical concept, but somehow is. I no longer need to come up with reasons to get rid of things, only to decide what I want to keep and let go of the rest. I'm through three of the five categories and have the largest and hardest ones left, but I feel ready for them. So awesome!
Anyway, today we are sharing our top ten inspiring quotations from books. I currently have 1,440 favorited quotations in Goodreads, but what I found going through them is that I tend to save quotations because they are true — that is, they succinctly capture in words some facet of life. These quotations, though, are inspiring and challenge me to think or act differently. And yes, some of them are from books I didn't particularly like, but there can still be a good line or two in a bad book!
Top ten inspiring quotations:
1. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
2. "J'aurais dû être plus gentille—I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old, Ah, I wish I was not good to that person. You will never think that." Khaled Hosseini, And the Mountains Echoed
3. "Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?" Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
4. "If you come to a river and find a boat at the edge, you will use that boat and it will serve you well, but once across the river, do you put the boat on your shoulders and carry it with you on the rest of your journey?" Christopher Moore, Lamb
5. "$1,000,000 in the bank isn't the fantasy. The fantasy is the lifestyle of complete freedom it supposedly allows." Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
6. "I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter." Bob Goff, Love Does
7. "Nothing I accept about myself can be used against me to diminish me." Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider
8. "You can't spend the rest of your life tiptoeing around to try and avert disaster. It won't work. You'll just end up missing the life you have." Kim Edwards, The Memory Keeper's Daughter
9. "Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don't just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles." Tina Fey, Bossypants
10. "You can't always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now." Kate DiCamillo, Because of Winn-Dixie
What are some of your favorite book quotations?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. Thanks for supporting A Cocoon of Books!