Melbourne on My Mind posted some questions about books and I can't resist an opportunity to talk about my favorite books and reading habits, so my answers are below!
1. What's your favorite Harry Potter book? (Come on, everyone has one)
Definitely Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I love the many different relationships that are explored in the book, whether it's romantic relationships, friendships, professional relationships, and mentor/mentee relationships. I was bummed that of all the Harry Potter movies, this is the one they ruined by changing it.
2. What's the book/series that everyone raves about but you just didn't get?
I was kind of meh about Divergent. I felt like it missed the opportunity to include some great plot twists, going for a pretty bland and cliched climax instead, and there were too many similarities to The Hunger Games for me to see it as something fresh and unique. I also read The Lightning Thief, the first Percy Jackson book, and couldn't really get into it.
(I only saw the word "series" when first answering this question, but now I see it could be any book, which would expand the list a lot: The Night Circus, Life After Life, Eleanor & Park, The Book Thief, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao...)
3. Which real world places do you want to visit because of a book?
I am really not a person who longs to travel. About the only places I haven't been that I'd still like to go are Australia and New Zealand, and that's because I know people there, not because of any books.
4. What bookish merchandise are you dying to get your hands on?
I love this iPhone case that Modern Mrs. Darcy mentioned recently.
5. What's your most anticipated book of 2015?
Like, one that's going to be published in 2015? I don't read many books the same year they come out, and I'm even less likely to keep up with anticipated releases. As I mentioned regarding sequels I want to read, about the only two yet-to-be-published books I'm specifically looking forward to are the next Cormoran Strike book and The Mirror and the Light (Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell series).
6. Which book character do you wish you could be best friends with?
7. What's the last book you gave five stars to?
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.
8. Which secondary character do you wish would get their own book?
How about these ten characters?
9. Which author, alive or dead, do you wish you could meet in person?
I'd love to meet Barbara Kingsolver or Vanessa Diffenbaugh.
10. How many books do you own?
According to my Delicious Library, I own 317 hard copy books, 11 audiobooks, and 15 Kindle books.
Share your answers to these questions in comments or on your own blog!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. Thanks for supporting A Cocoon of Books!